Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Boxing Day!

OK let's get right to the point. I really have no idea what this holiday is all about. I just read the required Wikipedia definition {why does anybody use that site?} and an article from today's Canada.com on this topic. I knew that it was a holiday that was celebrated in countries where they consider Queen Elizabeth 2 the monarch of their nation. So that pretty much includes places like the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and even still Hong Kong. I was surprised to learn that Germany and Greenland celebrate this day too. Originally, it was a day set aside to give to those less fortunate than you. And it was even celebrated in the original American colonies before the Revolution.
So today, it can be many things. In Canada, it is big shopping day somewhat like our own Black Friday. In the UK, it is a big sports day.
I like Holidays. And I think that on this particular day, we may step out and have a warm bowel of soup and a beer.
We made it through yesterday unscathed and relatively happy. We had quite the Merry Little Christmas. Unlike previous years I am not terribly blue about passing another Christmas. I am delighted that Christmas fell on a Friday and I don't have to go to the office today!
So, whatever you are doing today, I suggest you take a moment and think of our neighbors to the north and across the pond and beyond and try to celebrate this most foreign Holiday. We are going to. Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the soup, the beer's next.

relevent married guy said...

I missed the soup. Damn. But I had the beer!